BNET Interviews Brian Carroll: ‘Focus on Helping, Not Closing’
Brian Carroll was interviewed by Phil Dobbie, BNET and CBS News. Brian reveals how to execute the kind of engaging lead-nurturing conversations that result in more and better-selling opportunities.
Listen here, or review key points by following these timestamps:
-21:20 How can salespeople strike the perfect balance between nurturing existing leads and getting more sales
in the pipeline? Brian explains that this involves both marketing and sales; they can easily duplicate each other’s functions, which is why alignment is critical.
Inside sales are bridging the gap between them, Brian points out, and that’s more important than ever as companies are using the internet to research buying options and talking to sales reps later in the buying process.
(Want more information about the power of inside sales? Be sure to attend our next B2B Roundtable webinar this Tuesday, July 19: Research from Harvard, MIT Pinpoints Hard Lead Conversion Lessons with Easy Solutions, presented by Dave Elkington, Chairman, and CEO of InsideSales.com.
– 18:14 Stop thinking that your goal is to attain a sales meeting.
Lead nurturing is about engaging the right people in the right companies in a memorable conversation. The goal is to offer information that’s relevant. After all, 90 to 95 percent of your marketplace does not recognize they have a need for what you sell, but they will in the future. Lead nurturing engages them in your solution so that when they’re ready to buy, it’s top of mind.
– 16:48 You’re not selling to one or two decision makers anymore. Significantly more people are involved in the buying process, according to MarketingSherpa’s B2B Marketing Benchmark Report. Brian advises looking at recent sales and existing customers to identify which roles typically championed your solution to the rest of their team. Target similar roles in prospect companies. “These days, most of the selling happens when you’re not there,” he points out.
– 14:00 Research matters.
Before you begin cold calling, make sure you have the best data possible. Brian relates how better data reduced the cost per lead by 67 percent for one MECLABS client. (Learn the details by going to timestamp 10:03 in this webinar replay.)
– 11:23 Optimize your teleprospecting funnel.
Brian explains how to invest less energy making phone calls and more energy having conversations that matter.
– 10:24 According to MarketingSherpa, 92 percent of B2B buyers are open to receiving cold calls if they’re relevant, points out Brian. Relevancy means understanding their industry, their challenges, and their hot-button issues.
– 9:08 Listen to Brian demonstrate how to use relevant content to gain email opt-in.
– 6:07 Brian explains the power of Customer Relationship Management (CRM).
He notes that CRM is critical if you’re going to manage multiple interactions along the buying cycle. Fortunately, it’s accessible to everyone, with free and inexpensive on-demand packages.
– 2:50 Develop a lead generation calendar to avoid the “teeter-totter effect.”
That is, when prospecting is up, sales are low and vice versa. Be sure, when you’re involved in closing deals, that time is blocked out every week to do prospecting, and you’re “developing your plan and executing it,” advises Brian.
You might also like: