Better Sales and Marketing Integration
Poor sales and marketing integration is so common that it risks cliché. I believe the answer to better integration is by taking a more strategic approach to lead generation.
Last night, I stumbled upon Jeremy Porter’s notes and observations from DMA’s B-to-B Conference session entitled, "Sales and Marketing Integration: How To Make It Happen and Why You Can’t Afford Not To." I’ve paraphrased a few of his thoughts below:
- Sales and Marketing need to communicate then collaborate – not just executives but the entire team. Email is worst way to do it. In person or via phone is best.
- Marketing must to help the sales team develop better value propositions.
- Sales and Marketing must jointly develop a universal lead definition to qualify all leads regardless of source.
- Leads should never die as they represent future relationships. Marketing must take control of nurturing leads.
- Sales and Marketing must conduct regular sales pipeline review meetings for better integration, accountability and metrics.